Monday, November 24, 2014

Since everyone in the class really liked the painting by the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer, I looked into it. It is called The Girl with a Pearl Earring .
 




Heres the link with some facts about it: http://totallyhistory.com/girl-with-a-pearl-earring/

This link elaborates on the mystery of the the subject of the painting tieing in some of his other paintings in and mentions his painting styles: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/31/the-girl-with-the-pearl-e_n_4178779.html

-Suman Mann

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your post about The Girl with a Pearl Earring Suman. I found this really intriguing because the woman in the painting is compared to the Mona Lisa. By looking at the way her expression interacts with the painter, I completely agree with this statement. I also really love the contrast that Vermeer used to make it seem like the woman is glowing, making her skin look vibrant while the dark background adds a sense of mystery. Anyways, thanks again for sharing!
-Kylie Chan

Anonymous said...

There were many intriguing facts in the article about Girl With the Pearl Earring. It was surprising to know that the painting's name was changed due to a small detail which only took "no more than two brush strokes." Also, I thought Vermeer's use of green ochre to make the painting come to life was smart. This allowed for a more personal connection between the girl in the painting and the onlookers.
Great information! Thanks
Richa